Last week I had dinner at my sister’s place and she served fried fennel for me. We eat tons of fennel at our house. The twins love it (the call it liquorice vegetable because of its anis flavor) but we mainly eat it raw. It’s crunchy and slightly sweet and adds this delicious anis flavor to salads. To be honest, I don’t think I ever had it cooked before my sister served it for me.
And what a pity! Fried fennel is delicious!
SIDE DISH FOR 2-4 PERSONS
- 2 fennels
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- coconut oil (odourless) for frying
- sesame seeds, roasted briefly on a dry frying pan
2. Heat up coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the fennel at high temperature until the fennel slices start to take color in the edges. It’s takes a bit of time so be patient.
3. Pour into serving bowl(s) and sprinkle roasted sesame seeds on top.