I’m struggling to decide between two starters for New Year’s Eve so I thought I’d just share them both with you. The first one is a salmon tartare. It’s really delicate and elegant. The combination of the raw salmon, the green apple and the fresh herbs makes it a very nice and light start to a lovely meal.
It’s also really easy to make and you can make it hours before the guests arrive. I’ve served it for guests several times and they’ve all loved it!
STARTER FOR 6 PERSONS
- 400g of salmon filet (frozen for a minimum of 24 hours before use)
- 100g of smoked salmon
- 1 shallot
- 1 green apple
- ½ a cucumber
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½-1 tablespoon of mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of freshly chopped herbs (e.g. dill, chervil, oregano, even fresh mint will do)
- salt and freshly grounded pepper
2. In a different bowl, make the marinade by combining olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, herbs and salt and pepper.
3. Cut the apple in small pieces, chop the shallot finely and halve the cucumber, remove the wet middle and cut the rest into small pieces.
4. Mix all ingredients well together. Serve with a bit of green salad and some of the delicious bread with sea salt and oregano.