Maybe you have a garden full of fresh herbs that will soon begin to look like they’ve had a rough summer. In that case, I have a great tip for you! I don’t grow herbs in my garden but I grow them on my terrace in one of these oversized capillary trays but I still end up every Fall with lots of tired-looking herbs that I can’t really find a way to use.
Fresh herbs are little powerhouses of micronutrients so I definitely want to take that with me into the long dark Scandinavian winter. So I freeze mine in coconut oil and enjoy fresh herbs all winter long.
- leftover fresh herbs (basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary, oregano, chives etc.)
- odourless coconut oil*
- icecube tray
* you can also use butter/clarified butter or olive oil
2. Consider adding garlic as well. I prefer making them without garlic and adding garlic to the dishes where it belongs.
3. Melt coconut oil and pour it over the herbs. Put the ice cube tray in the freezer.
4. Take out a cube or two and use them in your cooking. They make a great variety to your scrambled eggs in the morning and do good in most kinds of cooked meals.