Nuts are insanely expensive in Denmark so I often place large orders from the UK and save quite a lot of money. BuyWholeFoodsOnline even ships to Denmark for free on orders over £100 so I just stuck up my cabinets.
A while back I bought some organic unsalted peanuts but I really didn’t know what to do with them. But yesterday I made peanut butter because my kids really like that and often have a spoonful with their afternoon veggies. And it turned out so good!
Usually when I’ve been making my own nut butters, the results have been anything from fantastic to so-so. It’s difficult to get the exact same creamyness as you get in store bought nut or peanut butter but this came pretty close.
2 SMALL GLASSES
- 500g unsalted peanuts
- 1 small tsp of salt
- optional: 2 tablespoons of odourless coconut oil
THIS IS HOW EASY IT IS
2. Place peanuts on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes.
3. Take them out and transfer to your food processor. Blend until the oil leaves the nuts and it becomes somewhat creamy. In my case it took 3-4 minutes and before that it went through stages of dry crumbles and glossy dough. When you see the dough like texture, your continue for about another minute or so.
4. Add in the salt and the coconut oil and blend again till you have a nice and creamy peanut butter.
And now for something even more delicious! The cacao version.
PEANUT BUTTER “NUTELLA” ♡
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- 3 tsp raw cacao powder
- 0,5 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 small tablespoon of odourless coconut oil, melted
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well together with a spoon. Pour into a glass and store in the fridge or in you kitchen cabinet. Feel free to add a little bit of sweetener, a drop or two of stevia, for a sweeter version.
MY BEST TIP FOR MAKING NUT BUTTERS
I find nut butters so much easier to make when I pretoast the nuts before. The times I tried to make raw nut butters, I’ve never really gotten past the crumbly stage. So don’t skip the pretoasting. It also enhances the nut flavor.
This post contains affiliate links.