Store bought ketchup is loaded with sugar and has a really intense taste. I never could taste exactly how sweet it was until I gave up sugar all together. Your tastebuds adjust fairly fast, actually.
I still sometimes buy store bought ketchup but I chose the brand with the least sugar. And then I also make my own. When I make my own, I get to decide exactly what goes in it and I really like that. Fortunately, my kids like my homemade ketchup too and they love that they can use it without limits on their morning eggs or for their potatoes at dinner.
1 LARGE BOTTLE
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly grounded pepper
- 700 ml strained tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 apple, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons of Coconut Palm Sugar (affiliate link)
- 0,5 tsp cayenne pepper
2. Add all other ingredients and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes. Let it cool down and blend it using your immersion blender.
3. Pour in a bottle and store in fridge for a week or two.
Products used in this recipe: